Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Wee Taste of Scotland


 Well, I’ve officially left the land of bagpipes, tartan, haggis and English speakers. I finally have the time to sit down and write a post about what was, undoubtedly, my favorite trip this semester. I honestly didn’t think I’d be able to choose a favorite (7 countries is a lot to visit in 4 ½ months and they are all such amazing places) but the UK really holds a special place in my heart. First of all, this was my first time in an English-speaking country in almost 4 months and as much as I love improving my Spanish, it was such a wonderful mental break to not have to THINK so much all the time! I could order something off a menu or ask someone for directions and not have to plan how to say it beforehand. It’s the small things.

I had my first taste of the UK when my mom and I traveled to England (and Paris as well) when I was 17. It was both of our first times in Europe and an unforgettable experience that really started a “travel bug” for me. I just adore British culture; the accents, the classiness, the adorable phrases (cheerio!), the tacky “God Save the Queen” memorabilia. All of it just has me envisioning a future lifetime where I hop on a red double decker bus in my Wellies and Barbour jacket to visit my dear friends Kate and Pippa for tea and crumpets whilst my plaid-clad Westie terrier plays with the Queen’s corgis. A girl can dream. Even though it’s not the UK, I also visited Ireland about 3 years ago with my high school choir and fell in love yet again. I couldn’t take in enough of the green landscapes and just about everything to do with the culture. Needless to say, I was excited to return to the UK for a weekend in Edinburgh and St. Andrews...even though I was a bit concerned about being in such a cold place after 2 weeks of 70-80 degree weather in Spain.

So why was this weekend my favorite trip this semester? I don’t know that I can pin down one exact reason why, but I’ll attempt to capture the experience as best as I can. Apologies if this ends up being a long one, but I think the best trip deserves a longer than average post, don’t you?

Thursday started like any other day. Thursday started with Paige and I deciding we needed more sleep and would rather go for a nice run outside on our favorite path instead of sitting through 3 hours of lectures. (Don’t worry, we’re allowed to skip 4 classes!). We spent some time outside in Granada before heading back to pack and get ready. It never ceases to amaze me how seemingly “mundane” travel has become for me this semester-normally you look forward to a big trip for months ahead of time, but when you are going somewhere amazing every weekend, the excitement comes on a week-by-week basis. It didn’t even really dawn on me till I started putting my stuff in my backpack and squishing up my Space Bag that I was about to head to Scotland!

Paige and I met our friend Maggie at the bus station and after a 2-hour bus ride to Malaga, a blissful cup of Starbucks coffee in the airport, and getting patted down after setting off the security alarms yet AGAIN, we were on our way to Scotland! Our flight landed in Edinburgh at midnight, so we had to wait outside for a night bus that takes passengers into the city center. Immediately we had our ears open for any sign of a Scottish accent. Two older men behind me in line were conversing with each other when Maggie and Paige asked each other what language they were speaking. It turned out to be our first encounter with English there and we didn’t even recognize it! We were also very pleasantly welcomed with some good British kindness and hospitality, something that is seldom found in Spain. The bus driver was so nice and helped us find our hostel. Tired from a day of travel, we crashed as soon as we got to our hostel room.

*SIDE NOTE: I am planning to write a blog post in the future with a list of ways to travel inexpensively and tips on hostel life, Ryanair, booking cheap flights, etc. with everything I’ve learned this semester. (I have just barely spent half of what I budgeted on travel this semester and I’ve traveled almost every weekend!)

Anyway, back to Scotland! The next morning we woke up and enjoyed the free breakfast that the hostel provided before wandering up a little bit of Princes Street, one of the main two streets in Edinburgh. As soon as we stepped out the front door of our hostel, we could see the Edinburgh Castle! We walked down the street for a bit, snapping tons of photos and soaking in as much as possible. After an hour or so, we met back at the hostel for a free walking tour they provided. The tour lasted three hours, and we covered a lot of the city and learned some really cool things! I don’t remember a lot of the history, but our tour guide knew some really interesting tidbits. The city is also full of Harry Potter ‘artifacts’ as it is the place where J.K. Rowling supposedly wrote some of the books. We visited the cemetery where she got names for some of the characters, including Voldemort’s grave! I’m not an HP fan, but I still though it was so cool!

 Edinburgh Castle


 The Elephant House Cafe, where JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter
Voldemort's Grave

Another fun part of the tour was the story of Greyfriar’s Bobby. Bobby was a little terrier dog who helped his owner chase away thieves and when his owner passed away, Bobby faithfully sat by his gravestone for 14 years until he passed away as well. Obviously I got a picture with his statue, the most photographed statue in Edinburgh!



After the tour, we walked through a bunch of touristy shops on the famous Royal Mile, where I had to stop myself from buying all the Westie and Scottie dog stuffed animals and restrain my urge to go in every store that sold Hunter Wellies. Ryanair’s one-bag limit is a great way to prevent you from buying unnecessary souvenirs. We also walked up to the Edinburgh Castle, though we decided not to pay to go inside.


I think we were all a bit tired from the walking tour at that point, so it was perfect timing that we had planned to head to the bus station and catch a bus to St. Andrew’s University to visit my best friend Elissa! The bus ride was about 2 hours through the countryside, and it was the perfect way to relax while seeing some scenery. Elissa picked us up at the bus station and we went to find a pub for some dinner. I absolutely adored walking through the town of St. Andrews; everything was so cute and quaint and I got really excited to spend Saturday there exploring. At the pub, we ate some great food and I got hooked on my favorite cider, Kopparberg’s. We had a fun night out and Elissa was kind enough to let us all spend the night in her dorm (even though we had to snuggle up in her full-sized bed!).
 My Favorite cider


In the morning, Elissa gave us a great tour of St. Andrew’s, starting with the Old Course. St. Andrew’s is known for golf, and it could not have been more beautiful (or more cold and windy). We stared out at the water for a while, just enjoying the skyline dotted with turrets and cute buildings. Our next stop was the dorm where Kate Middleton and Prince William lived when they attended the university! We then visited St. Andrew’s Castle, which are essentially ruins of the outer walls. Intact castles are amazing to see, but ruins of castles just have something magical about them. Even more magical was the glorious sun and beautiful weather we had that day!
 The Old Course
 a wee bit windy!
 The dorm where Kate and William lived!
In the castle

We took a break to enjoy some lunch at Northpoint Café, where Kate and William supposedly used to meet for coffee. I had an amazing turkey, Brie and cranberry jam sandwich. I know the UK isn’t known for their food, but I had some delicious things on this trip!

Our next stop was the Cathedral, which is also in ruins. We wandered through the cemetery for a while, just reading headstones and enjoying the sun. We had time for one last stop before catching our bus back to Edinburgh, so we sat in an adorable café and I enjoyed some yummy lemon cake.


The 3-hour bus ride back to the city was even more beautiful than the first, as we drove along the coast of the North Sea. It left me with a lot of time to contemplate life. Before I came to Spain for the semester, I had always thought I would spend another year or so of my life in Europe. I’m not sure what I would do there, but I always pictured myself working for a year or so in a foreign country in Europe where I could work and travel and soak up as much culture as possible. I hated admitting this at first, but after spending time living in Spain and traveling to all these amazing countries, I decided that I definitely enjoy living in the US and that coming back to Europe was something I wanted to do for sure, but only for vacations. 3 days in Scotland reminded me what I love about it and restored a little bit of my faith in Europe. I think if I ever do come back to live in Europe, it will most definitely be the UK or Ireland.

Back in Edinburgh, we wanted to find a couple of good pubs and a place to eat dinner. We were really surprised at how early everything closed there! In Spain, dinner doesn’t start until 8 pm. In Scotland, dinner is over at 9. In Spain, the bars stay open until at least 2 or 3, whereas in Scotland, they close at midnight. Discotecas are open until 6:30 or 7, and the latest clubs in Scotland closed at 3. We were shocked at how much Spain has made us night owls! We hurried up and found a restaurant still serving dinner so that I could try the food I had my mind set on sampling the whole weekend: haggis. Haggis is a traditional Scottish food, and it’s extremely popular throughout the country. I won’t list what’s in it-if you’re curious, I suggest you Google it. If you are planning to try it, then maybe don’t. I’m proud to say I ate (AND LIKED!) my first Haggis at a restaurant called Dirty Dicks. Complete with a bottle of Strawberry Lime Kopparberg cider, the night was a great success.
Not sure how I'm going to like haggis...

Sunday we woke up with an air of sadness, knowing we only had a few more hours in Edinburgh until we had to leave and cut our visit short. We all agreed we could have easily spent 5 more days there. To make the most of our last few hours, we walked to the Holyroodhouse Palace for a tour. Holyrood is the Queen’s official residence when she is in Scotland, and she usually stays there during summer months. The palace gave us free audio guides, so we were able to learn all about the different rooms including the bedroom of Mary Queen of Scots! The gardens and view of the hills, along with the crumbling abbey in the back, were completely breathtaking.



When the visit concluded, we had to make our way back to the hostel to collect our things and head to the airport. I think we all left a little bit of our hearts in Scotland. It was tough getting on that plane and knowing we had to come back to class and “real life” (HA.) here in Granada. It was, however, a good feeling knowing we wouldn’t have to get on another plane until we head home to the states. I love traveling and flying, but 10 flights in 15 weeks was a lot to handle. The rest of the week will hopefully include a trip to the beach and possibly a visit to the Spanish city of Córdoba before we leave for 3 days in Lagos, Portugal on Friday! Don’t worry, that one is a bus trip-no more flying!

I have one last thing I want to include in this post, and that is a big thank you to my parents and everyone who has helped me get here. I fully recognize just how blessed I am to be here, and I constantly have to pinch myself to convince myself that this IS real life. I am so, so fortunate to be able to do a semester abroad, and I truly hope you all have the chance to take a trip and visit new places. If you ever have the opportunity to visit the UK (or anywhere in Europe for that matter), DO. It will change your life. I’m serious. You have to travel until you find the place that calls to you, and I also believe you have to travel enough to realize why you really love you home. Each trip I’ve taken and each new country I’ve visited has taught me something new about myself or about a new culture. Even though it takes a lot of saving money to get here and a lot of hard work, I know for sure that I’ll be coming back to the States a much richer person because of these experiences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment