Saturday, January 19, 2013

La Alhambra

Today we went on our final excursion for the week, to visit Europe's #1 tourist destination...La Alhambra. La Alhambra is essentially a city with a military fortress and a palace within that dates back to the 800's. It is situated at the top of the hills of the city of Granada, and we can see the lights of it from down in the city when we walk to and from school! I have been really excited to visit La Alhambra all week and unfortunately, we were stuck with a really crappy weather day. It was freezing cold outside and absolutely pouring rain, with crazy wind! I was really not dressed for the weather...
Despite the cold and rain we took lots of pictures of the amazing fortress/castle/palace/whatever you want to call it and I am definitely making plans to go back on a warmer, sunnier day! We learned a lot from our tour guide, Aurelio, but for the most part I was too concerned with defrosting my hands to learn about 14th century stone carvings.
Once we left La Alhambra, we were on a mission to find a café that was open where we could get some hot drinks and warm up. We found a cute one, ordered hot chocolates, and were a little startled when we were served steaming cups of melted chocolate. Like literally, we ate this chocolate with spoons. I'm not complaining though-it was amazing!
Happy to report we found a café called Picaro that stays open till 2 am and has free wifi...it's 1:50 now and I finally got to Skype my parents and best friend at home. I think we'll probably be back here again. Adios for now!

xoxo
Kira

No comments:

Post a Comment