Friday, January 18, 2013

This is going to be life-changing


Have you ever seen something or met someone or done something in your life that you knew was going to change things forever? Whether it is good or bad, that feeling is incredibly liberating and scary. Yesterday was the best day in Granada so far, hands down. I know I will probably have a lot of other unbelievable days in the next 5 months or so, but I have to get this one down while it’s still fresh.
Yesterday started out as one of those days where it was cloudy, was supposed to rain, I had to pack two sack lunches and was planning to leave the house at 9 am and not return till almost 10 pm...extremely busy and exhausting.
It turns out that every exhausting minute of it was so worth it. It ended up being a beautiful and warm, sunny day-perfect for walking. After our morning meeting where we received information about our Morocco exchange program next week, we set out for a long hike up very steep alleys and streets to El Albaycín. I’ve seen some beautiful buildings and landscapes in my life and I didn’t think anything I saw would top the scenery in Ireland, but the view from El Albaycín was completely breathtaking. Our guide, Aurelio, gave us lots of information about the history of the city on our way up there and we stopped to visit Arab Baths on the way as well. We were all out of breath and exhausted but when we got to the top and saw the view of the Sierra Navadas, La Alhambra, and the view overlooking the city of Granada we all just stopped in our tracks. I snapped a lot of pictures, so I’ll put some up here so you can all semi-appreciate the beauty that is Granada. I was literally taken aback by the beauty of the mountains, the buildings, the landscape, everything.
We hiked back down in order to go to class (but only after stopping at an amazing gelato restaurant to counteract the calories burnt while hiking uphill). After class, my group had to stay at the CLM again for an activity called “intercambios” and I was NOT looking forward to it. I wanted to go home, eat, and fall into bed after all that walking and hiking.
Once again, I was completely wrong. Let me explain “intercambios” before I rant about how amazing it was. We do several intercambios activities throughout the semester and today was the first. We are split into groups of 4 American students and we are joined by one Spanish student from the University of Granada who is learning English. We normally will speak for half the time in Spanish and half in English and we get to do different activities with them like going to the Arab tea houses or visiting the University. Yesterday, for the first activity, we met in our groups (which are the same all semester) and had to introduce ourselves and just talk for a while. Our Spanish student is named Eva, and she is my new best friend.

It was a little awkward at first, but she wasn’t too difficult to understand, and after being in the classroom for a bit, we all went out for tapas together! Eva and I have a lot in common, and she was telling me all the best bars and discotecas in Granada. I’m so excited to have made my first real Spanish friend, and to have more “intercambios” this semester!

Hasta luego, mis amigos xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment