Monday, January 14, 2013

Life with a Señora

¡Hola, amigos! When last we spoke, I was about to meet my host mom..it's now been almost 2 full days living with Carmen González, my Señora and it's certainly been an adjustment. Luckily, Paige and I are living together so we can struggle through our Spanish vocabulary and grammar together. Carmen is really sweet and she has the most adorable 3 year old grandson Juan Antonio, who comes over every morning for her to walk him to school and in the afternoon he comes back for lunch! He's pretty shy around us, but Paige and I are hoping that he'll warm up soon. After all, we did watch "Bob Esponja" (Spongebob) with him and let him show us his Mario Kart.
The food has been good so far, I've had paella, vegetable soup, croquettes and a few other foods at home so far. The best thing is the fruit! There are clementines to die for and orange trees everywhere! Tomorrow, I will get a bocadillo which is like a sandwich/sack lunch from my Señora since we are going on an excursion with our group to visit the city center. We have a few other excursions this week to the Albaycín and the Alhambra. I can't wait!
A few of the major adjustments of living with a host mom here are that I don't have wifi, which is really frustrating since there is almost nowhere to use the internet, especially at night when I actually have time to upload pictures, check Facebook, and Skype with family and friends. Tonight, Paige and I walked forever to finally find a restaurant that was open and had wifi...in exchange for a glass of wine, of course.
Another adjustment is the freezing cold house...people in Spain are very conscientious about using things like heat, electricity and water. Because of this, the heat is really low and we have to sleep with leggings, under armor, and in Paige's case, 5 pairs of socks. Sheesh. At least the table where we eat has a space heater underneath, so we hang out in there with our Señora a lot watching Spanish TV. We also try really hard to conserver water...as a result, we have to take showers and turn off the water every time we are shampooing or anything. Put that together with a house that is about 60 degrees and you do the math. Goosebumps galore.
Anyway, enough complaining! I'm having a great time and I can't wait to explore more of this beautiful city! We have to walk about 30 min to school every day and we have to come home for lunch with our Seõra, so that's a lot of walking, and a lot of time to see the city I'm living in for the next 5 months! Leave a comment if you would like to know anything I'm haven't posted about, or want more info.

Until the next time I can find internet,
Kira xoxo




2 comments:

  1. What an exciting opportunity for you to experience a new culture, people and living history. I know when I went to Europe at age 17 I came home so appreciative for the things we take for granted (like heat & refrigerated drinks) but also a chance to see the world through different eyes. I can't wait to hear about Savannah's adventure as well. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kira,
    I'm enjoying vicarious travel through your blog! I'm sure you will *soon* be used to living in a 60 degree casa! Have a great time,
    Aunt Kirstin

    ReplyDelete